Pub of the Season Competition
A great many pubs across the Deal, Dover and Sandwich area are selling quality real ale and cider, supporting their local communities and promoting the aims of CAMRA. However, very few of these pubs get proper recognition through CAMRA's national campaigns and competitions.
So, a few years ago we introduced the Pub of the Season competition. Its aim was to provide a simple, engaging way for CAMRA Members to nominate and vote for pubs that they feel are making a contribution to local beer and cider, local communities, the work of CAMRA and reflect what truly makes a great British pub.
There are two Pub of the Season competitions each year:
- Summer: Winner is nominated and selected at the May Branch Meeting.
- Winter: Winner is nominated and selected at the November Branch Meeting.
At the branch meeting, members are asked to nominate a pub for the Pub of the Season award. Examples of why a pub might be nominated include:
- Wonderful beer garden for a pint or two in summer.
- They run a fantastic beer festival in August.
- Warming log fires for the cold winter.
- New landlord has turned the pub's fortunes around.
- Started selling beers from a local micro brewery.
- Started selling real cider.
Nominated pubs must also pass some eligibility criteria. The pub:
- Must serve good-quality real ale.
- Is not a current Pub of the Year winner or Cider Pub of the Year winner.
- Has not won the Pub of the Season competition in the past twelve months.
Once pubs have been nominated, members discuss and eventually vote to decide on a season winner.
Julian Crowley & Stuart Fox from the White Horse Dover.
|2015||Spring Pub of the Season||The Lanes, Dover|
|Summer Pub of the Season||The Fox Inn, Temple Ewell|
|Autumn Pub of the Season||Wrong Turn, Barfrestone|
|2016||Summer Pub of the Season||Freed Man, Walmer|
|Autumn Pub of the Season||The Lanes, Dover|
|Winter Pub of the Season||Farrier, Deal|
|2017||Summer Pub of the Season||Five Bells, Eastry|
|Winter Pub of the Season||Breakwater Brewery Tap, Dover|
|2018||Summer Pub of the Season||Anchor Inn, Wingham|
|Winter Pub of the Season||Griffins Head, Chillenden|
|2019||Summer Pub of the Season||Tipsy Gardener, Shepherdswell|
|Winter Pub of the Season||Crown Inn, Finglesham|
|2021||Winter Pub of the Season||White Horse, Dover|